Photographers of Great Britain and Ireland 1840 to 1940
their photographs, their studios and their customers
Was your ancestor a photographer? If so, find out more
Want to date your old family photographs?
do try our DIY Photo Dating Wizard unique & guaranteed
Get information from the world’s largest collection of British and Irish carte de visite photographs and related data.
1898 – a bad year for Tom Atwood to have a 10th birthday
– did he survive the Great War?
Extensive information is available on
- 33,000 photographers from the Victorian era and later – up to 1940
- 62,000 studio addresses and dates of operation
- 6,000 customers (the sitters who posed for them)
- nearly 50 fascinating biographies – big families, multiple marriages, financial woes and emigration – as well as the odd jail sentence !
- FREE downloads about various aspects of Victorian photography – with more to follow shortly
The information, much of it unique, is taken from original cartes de visite and cabinet cards in the Victorian Image Collection. Information from other sources such as the UK census, trade advertisements and photographic ephemera is also available.
How can we help you?
If you want to
- date a family photograph – click here
- identify who is in your photograph – click here
- research a photographer or see an example of their work – click here
- find out if we have a picture of your ancestor in our collection – click here
- read some really interesting biographies of photographers – click here
- see images of old photographic studios – click here
- sell your old photographs, albums or cameras – click here
- obtain images for publication or display – click here
******* PLEASE NOTE *******
We do NOT hold
- the original stock of photographs of any photographer
- the negatives of any photographer
- the records/day books of any photographer
- any photographs with IDENTIFIED sitters (other than those listed under SITTERS)
Therefore, regretfully, emails asking for photographs of specific people (other than those listed under SITTERS) CANNOT be answered.
A charge is made for some of our services to help maintain the archive. Thank you.
For further information, please contact us.
Hello Ron, WOW!!!!!
Those pictures are great. I loved the art work and the script of Augusta’s name and the design of the back of his pictures which leads me to new searches. Would the backs all have been out at the same time or changed as the years went by? I now have art work chosen by my Great, Great grandfather, and also see the people that hopefully he brought happiness to when capturing them in his work.
Kind regards and thank you for doing what you do. Wendy P and family – Australia.