Photographers of Great Britain and Ireland 1840 to 1940
their photographs and their studios
Was your ancestor a photographer? If so, find out more
Want to date your old family photographs?
do try our DIY Photo Dating Wizard unique & guaranteed
Get information from the world’s largest collection of British and Irish carte de visite photographs and related data
Currently supporting the ‘We Called to See You – Victorian Cartes de Visite’ exhibition at the College of Optometrists in London.
Extensive information is available on
- 33,000 photographers from the Victorian era and later – up to 1940
- 62,000 studio addresses and dates of operation
- Over 50 fascinating biographies – big families, multiple marriages, financial woes and emigration – as well as the odd jail sentence !
- FREE downloads about various aspects of Victorian photography
The information, much of it unique, is taken from original cartes de visite and cabinet cards in the Victorian Image Collection. Information from other sources such as the UK census, trade advertisements and photographic ephemera is also available.
How can we help you?
If you want to
- date a family photograph – click here
- identify who is in your photograph – click here
- research a photographer or see an example of their work – click here
- read some really interesting biographies of photographers – click here
- see images of old photographic studios – click here
- sell your old photographs, albums or cameras – click here
- obtain images for publication or display – click here
******* PLEASE NOTE *******
We do NOT hold
- the records/day books of any photographer
- the negatives of any photographer
- the original stock of photographs of any photographer
A charge is made for some of our services to help maintain the archive. Thank you.
For further information, please contact us.