Photographers of Great Britain and Ireland 1840 to 1940
their photographs and their studios
Was your ancestor a photographer? If so, find out more
Want to date your old family photographs?
do try our DIY Photo Dating Wizard unique & guaranteed
Get information from the world’s largest collection of British and Irish carte de visite photographs and related data
Victorian soldiers say “Hi”
Please note –
How we can help you
If you want to try to identify who is in your photograph – click here
Also, if you want to
- date a family photograph – click here
- research a photographer or see an example of their work – click here
- read some really interesting biographies of photographers – click here
- see images of old photographic studios – click here
- sell your old photographs, albums or cameras – click here
- obtain images for publication or display – click here
We no longer provide studio dates and addresses for dating your family photographs as these alone can sometimes be mis-leading and inconclusive. Photograph dating is now provided only via our DIY Photo Dating Wizard or our Custom Dating service – for more information please click here.
Please note: we do not hold
- the records/day books of any photographer; therefore we cannot identify the person in your photograph from a reference number written on your photograph mount
- the negatives of any photographer; therefore we cannot provide copies of other family photographs taken at the same time as a photograph that you may already have in your possession
- the original stock of photographs of any photographer.
A charge is made for some of our services to help maintain the archive. Thank you.
For further information, please contact us.
Extensive information is available on
- 33,000 photographers from the Victorian era and later – up to 1940
- Over 50 fascinating biographies – big families, multiple marriages, financial woes and emigration – as well as the odd jail sentence !
- FREE downloads about various aspects of Victorian photography