Photographers of Great Britain and Ireland 1840 to 1940
their photographs and their studios
Get information from the world’s largest collection of British and Irish carte de visite photographs and related data
A & G Taylor Research Project
We are compiling a comprehensive history of A & G Taylor who referred to themselves as “The Largest Photographers in the World”.
We have currently identified and scanned over 450 different carte de visite mount designs and over 300 different cabinet card designs but we are still looking for more examples – especially those from the smaller studios or examples dated after 1901. These mount designs contain a huge amount of information about the expansion and then the subsequent contraction of the business over time. The business existed from the 1860s to the late 1930s.
All of this information is also hugely important when trying to date a photograph by A & G Taylor for family history purposes.
Do you have any information to help with this project? We particularly need copies of ephemera, adverts, magazine articles etc. as well as actual photographs and postcards produced by them; in fact, anything related to the business and the people that managed it.
Or can you put us in touch with other people or sources that can add to our knowledge? Many thanks.
If so, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07774 787700
Ron Cosens & Marcel Safier
Some A & G Taylor Ephemera
I can help you if you want to
- research into photographers or see examples of their work – click here
- obtain images for publication or display – click here
- read interesting biographies of Victorian photographers – click here
- read articles about various aspects of Victorian photography – click here
- sell your old photographs or anything photographic – click here
- I no longer provide studio dates and addresses for dating family photographs as these alone can sometimes be inconclusive.
- I cannot identify the person in your photograph from a photographer’s reference number
- I cannot provide other family photographs taken at the same time as the photograph that you already have.
A charge is made for some of my services to help maintain the archive.
For further information, please contact me.