The information on this site is based on:
- Thirty five years of analysis of the world’s largest collection of British and Irish cartes de visite and cabinet cards
- Thirty five years of research into a huge collection of British trade directories
- Thousands of hours of internet research including interrogation of the UK census records
Our objective is to share this unique resource with:
- Family historians
- Local historians
- Collectors of photographs from the Victorian era and thereafter up to 1940
- Anyone interested in old photographs and historical photographers
The site is designed to help you to:
- Learn more about Victorian, Edwardian and pre-1940 photography
- Date your family photographs
- Identify un-named sitters in your photographs
- Research into the lives of photographers in your family tree
- Share information, on a dedicated page, about photographers in your family tree
- Connect with other family historians researching the same photographer
- Obtain examples of the photographic work of your Victorian relatives
- Research into the history of photography in a particular town or location
- Contribute data to the site
- ALSO to research into photographers and photography in Australia and New Zealand.
This site represents the input of several leading photographic researchers. For individual details, see the sub pages below.
To help defray the cost of managing the collection and maintaining the website, it is sometimes necessary to make a charge. For more details, see Prices.